Saturday, June 12, 2010

My "Swim" Lesson

Lately, I guess because of Kaden's swim lessons, my heart has been heavy with how my son longs to have my (and daddy's) undivided attention. I know it makes him feel special when he is alone doing something he likes to do with us. No brother, no sister. No competition. He just wants to know that he is special, that he matters, and that he is loved.

No wonder Jesus told his disciples to let the little children come to him. No wonder he said for us to have faith like a child. The heart of a child is simple. They want what they want and there is no compromise. They don't have to think about it or check their calendars. And it is interesting that when they know they want to feel loved, or secure, or safe, they come right us! It's almost like they know instinctively that their parents ought to provide that for them. Now why can't I do that. Why is it that so often I run to so many other things first, before I run like a child to the place where I know I am special, where I know I matter, where I know I am safe, and where I know I am loved. If I had the determination and will of a child, nothing would get in my way or distract me from being with my Father. So I have to ask myself, am I longing to have my Father's undivided attention like Kaden longs to have mine and Matt's? And do I realize that the Lord desires to know me like I want to know each of my children. And that it brings him joy, like it brings me joy as a parent, to be able to meet those needs of his children to feel special, feel safe, and to feel loved. Because I am a parent, I can now see how beautiful of a picture it is to see God as our "Heavenly Father" and myself as his child.

No comments: