Last Wednesday, I was pretty upset that work was starting again so suddenly. Back to leaving my kids, making lunches, rushing out the door, getting to work on time and back to being "on" for all my 150 students. It was already time to return to work, having just come out of one of the worst years in teaching of my career. So much so that I was still just so drained from last year after having two months off. Well, that, and that I am 9 months pregnant, and that it is 115 degrees outside!I cannot believe what a terrible year that was for me. My students were some of the worst I had ever seen. I can remember crying, more times than I would like to admit, the nights before I would have to go back to work. I often wondered why any sane person would do this to themselves. Exhaust every bit of energy trying to motivate, teach, love, help, discipline, and guide these kids just to get punched in the face day after day! (Thank God, not literally!) Then to go home and have nothing left for my own family who I love more than anything in the world!
Thank God, he will take care of those students for whom my love died quickly! My compassion went missing a few weeks in to the school year, and anger, bitterness, and even hate took over my heart! I wish I could have been stronger, but I wasn't and I just continued to spiral down into a deep pit where there was only anger and I was stuck! Really, those poor kids; they have horrible homes, may not even live in one, have parents that are worthless or not at all around, and they are 13 or 14 on their own. Over the years, I have had fellow colleagues say that a bad year comes every so often, but I never knew it could be that bad. My seventh year teaching is one I will never forget it!
So needless to say, I had a ton of anxiety about starting back to work. But thank God, this year has just been great. I have only been with my students three days now, but I am choosing to be positive! They are great and I am feeling pretty great too! What a different environment in my classroom and in my heart! I am so thankful for a new year.
1 comment:
I love your humble heart! Thanks for sharing! Can't wait to meet the new little Heinricy! xoxo!
Post a Comment