Saturday, January 15, 2011

Watching Cooper walk and wanting Cooper to walk these past few days has been so fun.  It has been so incredible to spend time thinking about what this means for him and what this means for me.  He is my last child.  He is the last one to learn how to walk in my family.  It really marks the last of the baby days for me, although diapers will stick around for a while longer. He is and will always be the baby of our family.  He is special. 

For him, he is gaining independence and a view of God's world from a different perspective.  Things are changing in his life.  Everything is a new experience for him.  Experiences he may have had before are different now with the ability to walk and see from that height.  Its a whole new world for him. It is unfamiliar to him so he lacks a certain confidence that I envy.  This lack of confidence causes him to walk with intention.  With every step he takes, he is thinking about how and when to take each step.  He is conscious of what he is doing, knowing that he is not yet achieved the ability to walk without hesitation.  There is an awareness there that he possesses as he is learning to do something new for the first time.

I want to walk like Cooper.  I want to walk with God like that.  He reminds me of how I ought to be walking with God.  I have become overconfident in my walking.  I have become unaware of each and every step I take and in which direction I am going.  Where is my dependence on the Lord for every step?  Where is my understanding that every step I take, I take because of God's grace and mercy and god willing, in the direction of his will.  I want to think about God every moment of every day, to be aware of who he is and his will and purpose for my life.  I want to feel like I am never alone.  That every time I take a step, I am with him and he is with me and we are walking together.

As Kaden, Keira, and Cooper have each learned to walk physically, I pray that they will also each learn to walk spiritually for the rest of their lives.

No comments: